We all have a sweet tooth every once in a while and it’s okay to have that. In fact, it’s a natural part of our biology. In Ayurveda, an form of medicine originating in India it is taught that there are 6 different tastes to experience to create harmony within the body. These tastes are astringent, bitter, pungent, sour, salty and last but not least… sweet!
Sweet food tastes great and often helps our brain chemistry making is feel happier. Sweet food has it’s use and value in our life and health if understood and used for our health benefit as opposed to against it. There are sweeteners though that are made form GM organisms, and other toxic by-products that cause disruption within the body. Today I decided to compile a list of the top 5 worst sweeteners, the most harmful sweeteners and to give you their organic equivalent that actually has nutritional value.
Most sweeteners are full of chemicals, toxins, preservatives and even endocrine disruptors negatively affecting your hormones and health as a whole.
Here’s a list of the top 5 worst sweeteners and their replacements:
1. White Sugar: Often made from sugar cane but can also be created from genetically modified beets. White sugar is one of the worst things to ingest for your body overall across the board so it’s best to avoid. A great replacement is brown organic turbinado sugar.
2. Aspartame (Found in Nutrasweet/Equal): Aspartame does not metabolize well in the body at all. The body digests small doses of aspartame in a way that harms the liver. The profile of Aspartame (the chemcial composition) does not mimic nature at all in any way and is one of the worst sweeteners you can choose. Worse than white sugar even. A great replacement is organic coconut sugar which is packed full of vitamins, electrolytes and minerals.
3. Sucralose (splenda): Another synthetic chemical based toxic sweetener made of chemicals and junk. It’s a synthetic covalently bound chloride compound. Agent Orange and PCB are both other examples of synthetic covalently bound chloride compounds. This is toxic and once again worse than white sugar. I love organic stevia as a replacement for this because it is super sweet and doesn’t negatively impact your blood sugar levels in any way and in fact helps to balance them. This specific stevia has so many different incredibly delicious flavors as well which really make it that much tastier.
4. High Fructose Corn Syrup: The journal cancer research published in 2010 that high fructose corn syrup was found to feed cancer. This is not surprising, especially since white sugar has also been known to feed cancer as well. HFCS is also genetically modified which means it has plenty of laced chemicals from Monsanto in it as well. I like raw unpasteurized organic honey as a replacement. It’s full of enzymes and has so much value for your health, specifically your liver and immune system.
5. Agave: I’ve never been a big fan of agave but the more I learn about it the more I avoid it. Which is unfortunate because some health food companies use this as a sweetener. The main problem I see with it is that the fructose (fruit sugar content) in agave is higher than ANY other commercial sweetener, causing liver and metabolism issues if consumed regularly. I like organic sunroot jerusalam arthichoke sweetener as a replacement for this. This sweetener is full of nutrition as well and is a great prebiotic sweetener that enhances your intestinal health. It also tastes a lot like molasses in it’s own unique way which I love! I highly recommend trying it at least once in your life!
You can still get that sweet tooth craving without spiking your blood sugar levels, weakening your immune system and liver and causing overall havoc within your body. It’s just about choosing a healthier sweetener for you. If you’re looking to balance blood glucose levels then go with stevia. If you’re looking for prebiotics for intestinal health go with the sunroot arthichoke sweetener. If you want immunity and liver health go with raw honey. Each sweetener has it’s own list of health benefits and can add value, energy and value to your life instead of take away from it.
I hope this list of sweeteners to avoid and ones to replace them with is helpful to you and your health! Enjoy the rest of your day.