Every once in a while my muscles will get sore or tense from a long active day. It doesn’t happen too often but every once in a while it does. Intuitively i know that my body is depleted. There are essential minerals and trace minerals as well as vitamins that play an important role in recovery. Keeping the muscles healthy. Rebuilding torn muscle tissue and healing and supporting the nervous system.
If you have any tension, soreness or pain in your muscles you’re not alone. Most people do. It’s not necessary though. You most likely have a magnesium or potassium deficiency. Approximately 80% of the American population is deficient in magnesium. 98% of Americans are deficient in Potassium. These are both essential minerals important for helping muscle contraction, relaxation and the nervous system.
Whenever you have tension, soreness or pain think of foods rich in potassium and magnesium. Avocado and banana are both great sources. Leafy greens also! Be sure to eat more of them especially when you feel it.
Beyond that you can create an all natural, plant-based muscle rub to reduce tension, soreness and muscle aches and pain.
Homemade Natural Muscle Rub
(For Soreness, Tension, Aches, Pain)
- 1/2 cup organic coconut oil
- 1/4 cup organic grated/pellet beeswax
- 2 teaspoon organic cayenne powder
- 2 teaspoon organic ginger or organic turmeric powder (Turmeric will cause temporary skin discoloration)
- 15 drops of peppermint essential oil (improves circulation)
- 15 drops of lavender essential oil (relaxes the muscles)
- Glass jar for storage (These jars on amazon here are perfect for this recipe as well as homemade deodorant)
The coconut oil and beeswax are thickening agents to help mix in the other ingredients to apply topically. Cayenne is beneficial for circulation and also boosts nitric oxide production speeding up recovery. Ginger or turmeric are great anti-inflammatory agents to help the healing process. Peppermint oil improves circulation and helps to open the pores for assimilation. Lavender oil is an amazing relaxant for the muscles and nervous system. Lavender also provides a great aroma to calm the mind and body.
- Pour the beeswax and coconut oil into a small glass jar. Then place this in a pot with 2 inches of water over medium low heat.
- Place the small glass jar in the pot. Stir and combine till mixed well.
- Now, add the cayenne and ginger or turmeric. Mix in.
- Once these are all combined allow everything to cool slightly and then add in essential oils. Mix it well!
- Pour the mixture into a storage jar (such as this) and apply topically to the area of soreness, tension or pain.
Here’s a video showing the process simply and quickly:
If this recipe takes too long to make and you don’t have the time a product recommendation that I would make is a product called “Deep Blue” from Doterra which can be found here. It is formulated for relaxing muscles. It works quite well and is made of natural ingredients.
Source: https://draxe.com/homemade-muscle-rub/ Image: