Many people see Hippocrates as the father of medicine. Since 460 B.C. he has been practicing medicine, starting in Ancient Greece… and he’s still alive today! Just kidding, just making sure you’re paying attention.
He did live a healthy life to about (estimated to be around 115 years of age) and was considered one of the greatest physicians of his time.
We’ve all heard: “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” – Hippocrates
He was right, and to this day his words ring true. Unfortunately his words are all too often ignored, especially in America.
Modern day health minds and leaders such as Ann Wigmore and the Gerson Family (Max Gerson & Charlotte Gerson) use and recommend this kidney nourishing soup recipe in their books and health centers. These foods help to nourish, cleanse and support the strength of the kidney organs.
The kidneys are responsible for many health functions in the body. They absorb minerals, produce hormones, help with the Urinary system to detoxify and filter fluids as well as help to regulate blood pressure. They also help to regulate red blood cell production as well as pH.
Ingredients Needed For Kidney Soup Recipe:
- 1 medium celery root
- 1 parsley root
- 2 small leeks (or one large)
- 2 medium sized onions
- 2 cloves of organic garlic
- 1-1.5 pounds of organic tomatoes (or more if desired)
- 1 pound of organic potatoes (brush the skin)
- Sea salt or himalayan salt for added taste (cancer patients are recommended to skip salt)
- Small amount of parsley stalks and leaves – add these in about 5-10 minutes before the end of cooking
How To Cook Hippocrates Kidney Soup:
- Fill the pot with pure drinking water (spring or purified) just enough to cover all the vegetables.
- Bring the water to boil, then cover the pot to keep the steam in. Simmer this for about 2 hours or until vegetables turn soft.
- Once cooked, run the cooked vegetables through a food mill/processor. A gear juicer works well for this function, using the “mincing” screen. Otherwise, you can use a blender (such as the nutribullet, which works very well) and blend till you get a smooth consistency. Do this while the soup is warm for best results.
- You can cook the garlic or add it in raw after this. Raw garlic has more medicinal value.
- Serve warm, and enjoy these kidney health benefiting effects!
- Let the soup cool before storing. Keep in air-tight container in the refrigerator and consume in no more than 48 hours. To reheat, simmer over stove on low, do not use microwave oven as it will kill the nutritional and medicinal value of the soup.Recommended Reading: Top 8 Foods For Kidney Health & Cleansing 🙂