Have you ever heard the term leaky gut? What about autoimmune disease? These are all too uncommon phrases although many millions of people suffer from these conditions.
Leaky gut syndrome is a condition that is growing quickly because our diet is off more now than it was ever before. Easily, Millions of people in America alone are struggling with leaky gut and autoimmune disease and aren’t aware. Leaky gut syndrome affects all areas of the body and health, not just the digestive system.
Research now shows that the cause of your conditions such as food allergies, low energy, joint pain, thyroid disease, autoimmune conditions (of which there are 160 or so currently known) and bad metabolism could be leaky gut symptoms.
What is Leaky Gut Syndrome?
Your intestinal system’s job is to digest and assimilate food, and use the nutrients from that food for the benefit of your body. Over time if your health is compromised by factors such as stress, toxins, GMO foods, pro-inflammatory foods and drinks, drugs and other substances your intestinal lining is weakened. This leaky gut (think food and food particles leaking out of the intestines and into the blood) leads to an autoimmune disease over time.
As you can see, these things that build up over time and hinder the intestinal lining leads to a variety of issues in the body. Leaky gut is also often called intestinal permeability. Over time if your intestinal lining is compromised and worn down these food particles begin to leak into the blood stream. The immune system responds to these food particles in the blood stream as foreign invaders because they aren’t supposed to be there.
The immune system responds, sending an antibody to see what’s going on. An antibody is produced by the immune system as a defense based protection mechanism for the immune system. When you have leaky gut syndrome a few things happen that harm your health.
- Your gut doesn’t absorb food and nutrients fully. This means that you’ll be losing the value (energy, nutrition) from the food that you’re eating and absorbing a smaller amount than before.
- Your immune system is actively at work to handle these food particles that leak into the body. This weakens the immune system and causes your body to burn more unnecessary energy and resources.
When the gut and immune system are working harder to get the same job done you’re losing energy and nutrition at a faster rate which means you’re more at risk for various autoimmune diseases.
When you already have leaky gut you’ll have a set of symptoms such as the following:
- Aches & Pains
- Low energy
- Skin conditions (such as psoriasis & acne)
- Anything to do with digesting food
What is Autoimmune Disease?
Autoimmune disease (otherwise known as autoimmune disorder) is a disease in which the body produces antibodies that actually attack its own tissues, which leads to deterioration and in some cases to the destruction of such tissue. Which autoimmune disease will you get if you’ve suffered from leaky gut syndrome long enough?
Dr. Tom O’Bryan has a very simple answer to this question. One of the foremost leaky gut, gluten and autoimmune disease experts in the world states: “The autoimmune disease that you get will simply be your weakest genetic link on the chain.”
In other words, if multiple sclerosis runs in your family. Leaky gut will lead to this autoimmune disease. If rheumatoid arthritis runs in your family, leaky gut will lead to arthritis. The weakest genetic link on the chain is the link that will break first.
Leaky gut and the autoimmune response of the body can lead to the following conditions: IBS which is inflammatory bowel disease, depression, muscle pain, arthritis, eczema, psoriasis, anxiety, migraine headaches and chronic fatigue.
Also, according to the Journal of Diabetes there is strong evidence linking autoimmune disease to type 1 diabetes.
Leaky gut also causes the malabsorption of nutrients such as zinc, iron and vitamin b12. If you’ve had any deficiency tests done and eat a fairly healthy whole food base diet and are still deficient in all 3 of these nutrients there’s a good chance you have leaky gut going on.
What Can You Do To Prevent or Reverse Leaky Gut?
Leaky gut is caused by the choices we make on a day-to-day basis. Our diet plays a large role. Genetically modified foods are pro-inflammatory in the gut and foods that are processed are laced with preservatives, chemicals and toxins that cause an anti-inflammatory response in the gut as well.
There are a few things that you can do to begin to repair a leaky gut.
- Removing Reactive Foods: Foods that cause inflammation in the gut lead to a leaky gut. You can take food sensitivity tests and food allergy tests as well to determine what foods these are. A good general list that may be smart to avoid are gluten foods such as wheat, rye and barley. Dairy and poultry are reactive for many people as well. It’s best to avoid processed foods to the best of your ability and eat organic whole foods as the largest portion of your diet.
- Reintroducing Positive Builders: There are specific foods that help to rebuild the intestinal wall. By adding these foods and supplements to your diet you can begin to repair the intestinal lining and absorb nutrients better. This will also reduce food particles entering the bloodstream causing the autoimmune response. Probiotic rich foods such as saurkraut and kimchi are great for rebuilding intestinal linking. Drinks rich in probiotics such as kombucha, kefir are great as well. Dr. Tom O’Bryan recommends a colostrum (click here to get this supplement) as the #1 supplement for rebuilding intestinal lining. Bone broth is great for gut health as well. Vitamin D is great for rebuilding the lining as well which can be gotten by simply getting sunlight.
- Watch Betrayal The Documentary Series! Dr. Tom O’Bryan, one of the world’s foremost experts on gluten, leaky gut and autoimmune disease is hosting a 7-day long documentary series hosting 85 experts on these topics. These are doctors and scientists speaking on the latest research and treatments on autoimmune disease. You can sign up to view that event free by visiting this link (click here)! , This is the fastest and smartest way to get caught up to speed on these topics and how to treat it in the smartest and latest ways.