Honey is one of mother nature’s miracle cures. It can be used for so many ailments from the cold, cough and flu, to improving immunity, digestion, liver health and much much more. The great thing about honey is that it’s sweet and tastes great, but you still get all the benefits. According to Dr. Ron Fessenden, M.D., the average American consumes over 150 pounds of refined sugar, plus an additional 62 pounds of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) every year. Sugar and high fructose corn syrup are sweeteners but have harmful health effects. By comparison Americans ingest only one pound of honey per year.
Honey on the other hand has a lot of nutrition and therapeutic benefits. By ingesting honey you receive these benefits, but there are a few rules you should know before you go and buy honey at the store.
First, you want to buy honey that is organic and raw. This means that the honey has not been pasteurized (heated up) which destroys beneficial micro-nutrients that honey contains. Unfortunately it’s quite difficult and rare to find raw honey at your local grocery store or market. I personally get my honey from the farmers market, that way I can talk to the beekeeper and learn more about the quality of their product.
If the honey is raw and organic then you are off to the best start. You have a high quality product that contains many beneficial vitamins, minerals, enzymes, trace minerals, micro-nutrients and prebiotics.
Ingesting a Spoonful Of Honey IS The Medicine:
A spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down? Skip the sugar and take one spoonful of raw honey, ingest that instead. Honey has many therapeutic benefits.
Why Ingest Raw Honey On An Empty Stomach?
Food is fuel, healthy food is the healthiest source of fuel. Ideally we could all eat “The perfect diet” and be perfectly healthy all the time. Unfortunately that is nearly impossible. The perfect diet is different for every individual based on unique biochemistry, genes, the gut’s inflammatory response, the list goes on and on. We now have to deal with more pollutants and environmental chemicals than ever before, so our body is working to dispose of these unnatural compounds, mainly putting a tough load on the liver to carry the brunt of this.
Food can heal, but lowering your food intake and doing something such as water fasting (just drinking water the whole day and not eating at all) can create a healing process that speeds up everything else. The benefit to using anything (herb, plant, apple cider vinegar etc.) or in this case honey, on an empty stomach, is that you’ll receive those benefits spread further into your body.
If you have food in your gut, and your intestines and liver are going to work to process food, healthy or junk food, your body has to process that along with the honey. If the stomach is empty on the other hand, and it receives a glass of water with a spoonful of honey, a nutritional profile. The body uses the honey much more efficiently and effectively and you receive MORE benefits from the honey. The water without food approach helps to hydrate the intestinal system to help with nutrient absorption so that all that’s in the honey is absorbed and used quickly.
1 Spoonful Of Honey In Water On An Empty Stomach: Here’s What Happens…
- You Sleep Better! You can use this one spoonful of honey in a glass of water right before bed to drift asleep and get higher quality rest, waking up feeling more rejuvenated. Honey fuels your liver with glycogen which helps your body repair and recover overnight instead of going into depletion. The vitamins and minerals help in this process as well. Honey also causes your brain to release melatonin which is an essential sleep hormone. It helps you sleep better in multiple ways. Taking a spoonful of honey with a glass of water about an hour before bedtime will increase your sleep quality effectively.
- Your Liver Benefits: Honey is one of the best foods for your liver. The enzymes, minerals, antioxidants and vitamins help to support liver health and function at an optimal level. Your liver has over 600 functions in the body including purifying the blood, hormonal regulation, detoxification of impurities and more. You get an improved bump in each of these areas.
- Your Intestinal Flora Benefits: Honey contains a beneficial nutritional profile that includes prebiotics. Prebiotics are the precursor nutrient to probiotics, known as good bacteria for gut flora health. Prebiotics give your gut the necessary missing part that it need to produce it’s own beneficial microbes internally. You can take less probiotic supplements and eat less probiotic foods if you have a prebiotic rich diet, and RAW (only raw) honey helps with that. Honey that has been pasteurized no longer contains these beneficial prebiotics. This all means that your digestive system operates more effectively to handle the coming meals.
- Promotes Tissue Regeneration: Honey has a unique profile of amino acids that when are ingested help to rebuild muscle, tendon, ligament, hair and skin regeneration. Your body rebuilds itself faster and in a healthier manner (healthier tissue) with the profile of amino acids contained in honey.
- Helps Blood Sugar Levels & Obesity: Although honey contains glycogen it is actually beneficial for blood sugar levels. If you go taking multiple spoonfuls of it, then that’s a different story. One spoonful though benefits blood sugar levels and also helps people reduce weight gain. Studies have been done and found both of these benefits. You can also add cinnamon to honey to get even better blood sugar balancing benefits.
All together your digestive system as a whole benefits tremendously, along with your immunity. Your circulation is benefited, hormonal regulation is benefited, your tissue repair is more effective and your body get’s a nice balancing and harmonizing effect.
I remember when I first started taking honey each day my body became more sculpted and my abs became more cut. I wasn’t working out or doing anything serious, just my usual day to day computer work and I noticed my digestive system improve, and overall physique improve.
Next time you have trouble sleeping, or feel that your body needs a little help repairing and rejuvenating itself, take a spoonful of honey in water on an empty stomach and enjoy the benefits! If you don’t have a local farmers market you can get raw honey on amazon as well.